The Kentucky Derby Auction Fundraiser on Friday, April 15 is quickly approaching. The deadline to make reservations is Thursday, April 14. You may stop by the school or church office to fill out a form, or click the following link to reserve your spot. www.charityauctionorganizer.com/auction/zion2016
If you or your business have items you’d like to donate, please drop them off in the school office no later than Tuesday, April 12. When you drop off the items please be sure to fill out the form which will include the value of the item.
New this year – Drawing for free tuition, one student for the 2016-2017 school year! Tickets are $100 each. Tickets may be purchased in the school office or the night of the auction.
Don’t forget – Best Kentucky Derby Hat contest, live auction and fun! Follow the link: www.charityauctionorganizer.com/auction/zion2016 to view pictures of some of the silent auction items! Coach purses, tons of autographed sports and entertainment items.
Remember – Proceeds from this year’s auction will go towards a new gym floor and bleachers!
Don’t forget to register today for the “Seasons of Change” Seminar that will be held this Saturday, April 2 from 8:30-3:30. $10.00 single $15.00 couple $5.00 per child for child care. This includes breakfast and lunch.
Marty Rasmussen, Jack Lipski, Lindy Schultz, Dr. Craig Loving
8:30 a.m. Registration and Refreshments
9:00 a.m. Opening and Keynote Presentation
10:15 a.m. Break and move to sectionals
10:30 a.m. Morning Sectionals- Choose from Spring/Summer, Autumn or Winter-parts 1,2,and 3
12:05 a.m. Lunch
12:45 p.m. Afternoon Sectionals– Choose from Spring/Summer, Autumn or Winter– Parts 4 and 5
1:45 p.m. Break and gather for panel presentation
1:55 p.m. Panel presentation
Register today by emailing Marilyn at email@example.com
We’ve received a lot of questions about the Slam Dunk Fundraiser that is posted in the narthex and school atrium and we’d like to take this opportunity to address them.
- What is the Slam Dunk Fundraiser?
The Slam Dunk Fundraiser is an initiative to raise $100,000 to replace Zion’s gym floor and bleachers.
- Why do we need a new gym floor?
The current gym floor uses asbestos tiles that are starting to break apart in certain areas of the gym. Beyond the cosmetic effect, this creates a safety issue due to the uneven surface and affects events held in the gym. These tiles are costly to repair as we must have an asbestos-trained person to do the work. Additionally, individual tiles cannot be replaced because tiles of similar thickness or color are no longer available for purchase.
- Why do we need new bleachers?
The current bleachers are not a closed system, which means we have open gaps between seating rows. They are a safety issue for many who struggle to walk thru the rows to their seats. Students or adults attending a concert or game frequently hurt themselves by accidently slipping and injuring their ankles or feet. A lesser issue is the amount of items that fall into the gaps, causing people to go under the system to pick up items or clean spills.
- Who benefits from this project?
Our entire ministry at the church and school benefits from this project. Both the church and school use the gym year-round as a multipurpose facility. The church uses it for music concerts, guest presenters, the church bazaar, coffee hour, and youth programs. The school uses it for P.E., lunch program, assemblies, sports programs, and musicals.
- Why does it cost so much?
$100,000 is a lot of money but it is the most reasonable solution. We received numerous bids for the gym floor and narrowed the bids down to three companies. The most expensive bid was $95,000 for the gym floor alone. We also received a bid for $58,000 but ultimately, we went with the least expensive bid of $48,000. This solution will lay down a vapor barrier on top of the asbestos tiles before the Pulastic Classic rubberized flooring is laid down. . This approach saves $10,000-$20,000 by not removing the asbestos tiles. The vapor barrier is a certified material that meets all safety requirements. The cost of the bleachers is $30,000. The new bleachers are a closed system made of a hardened plastic with a metal frame. They will be much lighter than our current bleachers, making it far easier to move them back and forth. More importantly, the closed system will make it much safer for people to move freely to and from their seats. $20,000 has been set aside for contingency to address any unexpected costs.
- How much money has been raised?
We have raised $4,000 towards our goal to date. Zion’s National Junior Honor Society and PTL are supporting this project through various fundraising projects. Additionally, proceeds from Zion’s upcoming auction on April 15 will go towards supporting this project. If you would like to support this project, please call the school office for more information, or make checks payable to Zion Lutheran School. On the memo line, write the word, “Gym.”
If you are interested in further details or would like to discuss possible funding for the project, please contact Zach Brewer at 303.659.3443.
Here’s a little bit of news from the ZLS PTL!
- Chick-fil-A Spirit Day Success! Thank you to all who participated in the February 10th Spirit Day at Chick-fil-A. Thanks to your generosity, Chick-fil-A will donate $469 (20% of our total sales $2,354) to Zion. Hats off to Miss Lee’s 2nd graders for winning the class cookie contest!
- Krispy Kreme Sale Underway: Students are selling Krispy Kreme doughnuts, coffee, and discount cards through March 4th. Please see PTL president, Lorri Carrier if you’d like to participate but don’t have a student to support.
- Dine out and support Zion: Please join us at Papa Murphy’s (Brighton Crossing – 96 N 50th Avenue) on Thursday, March 31st between 10 AM – 8 PM to participate in the March Spirit day.
- Annual Flower Sale is May 7th: Mark your calendars now and save the date! The Zion Lutheran School Annual Flower sale is right around the corner. The sale will be held for one day only: Saturday May 7th. Please join us in supporting our school at this fun sale. Volunteers are needed; email Nickie Maillet at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up.
This week is a busy one. Please see below for reminders and updates.
- Roller Skating Parties for Grades 1-8 are this week. Please be sure your child’s permission slip has been turned into your child’s teacher. Grades 1-4 will be skating tomorrow, Tuesday, February 9. Grades 5-8 will skate Thursday, February 11. Be sure to pick up your child by 2:45 at the rink, unless previous arrangements have been made.
- Wednesday, February 10 is Chick-fil-A Spirit day. Don’t forget to mention Zion and your child’s teacher when placing your order.
- Wednesday, February 10 is also the beginning of Lent. Chapel will be at 10:00 a.m. on Wednesdays through March 16.
- Parent Teacher Conference slips for K-8 will be going home today. Please be sure to fill out the form and return to your child’s teacher by Wednesday, February 10. Parent Teacher Conferences are next week, Thursday, February 18 and Friday, February 19.
- PTL will be providing dinner for the teachers on Thursday, February 18 and breakfast Friday morning, February 19. To access the meal schedule, you can go to perfectpotluck.com and enter coordinator’s name: Roberts and password: ZionLions. Or you can click the links below. If you have any questions, you can contact Karen Roberts at 720-934-8639 or email@example.com. Thanks for being a blessing to our teachers!
- There is no school Monday, February 15 in observance of Presidents Day. Daycare is also closed that day.
- There is no school Friday, February 19 due to Parent Teacher Conferences. Daycare will be open that day for those already registered, however no hot lunch is available.
- Re-enrollment forms were due last Friday, February 5. Enrollment for Zion Lutheran Church families opened Monday, February 8. Open enrollment for the community begins Monday, February 22. If you have not turned in your re-enrollment form and deposit you must do so as soon as possible to ensure your families spot next year.
Thank you and have a great week.
Wednesday, February 3rd 6:00pm to 7:30pm
- Explore required courses, special programs, extracurricular activities, and meet some staff.
- Students and their families should attend one of the Welcome Sessions to obtain their registration sheets and hear valuable information about the registration process.
- The event is drop-in style – but be sure to attend one of the Welcome Sessions.
- If you will be attending Brighton High School Next Year – this event is for you.
- If you are the parent of a student who will be attending Brighton High School next year, this event is for you.
- Great Success in High School means planning properly. This planning begins now.
Welcome Sessions in the High School Auditorium. Pick up registration sheets at Welcome Sessions. Please select one session to attend!
- Welcome Session #1 6:00 PM
- Welcome Session #2 6:30 PM
6:00 PM – 7:30 PM Visit with teachers, coaches and activity sponsors
Bethlehem Lutheran Church in Lakewood has invited fathers and daughters here at Zion to join them at their Daddy Daughter Dance.
Fathers and Daughters of all ages are invited to a special night of fun and dancing!
When: Friday, February 5, 2016
6 – 9 pm
Where: At Bethlehem Lutheran Church
2100 N Wadsworth Blvd, Lakewood, CO 80214
Register Online: www.bit.ly/bethlehemdance
Cost: $10 a pair, $2 for each additional child
(After February 3rd, cost is $15 a pair, $2 for each additional child)
If you have questions, please contact Becky Chaplin: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to download a copy of the bracket for the upcoming Zion Invitational Basketball Tournament.
Zion’s first game is Friday, January 29 at 8:00 pm against Shepherd of the Hills.
Tickets prices are:
Students (K-8) Tournament Pass – $2.50 Single Ticket – $1.50
Adults Tournament Pass – $3.50 Single Ticket – $2.00
Plan on coming out to cheer on our team!
Please make note of upcoming events and dates for this week and next.
- The Jump Rope for Heart Event is this Wednesday, January 27. PTL is collecting donations of cheese sticks and oranges to provide our jumpers with snacks during the event. If you are able to make a snack donation, please deliver your contribution to the school office by Tuesday, January 25.
- This week is National Lutheran’s Schools week. Be sure to read the schedule of events.Lutheran Schools Week 2015-2016schedule of events. Please note on Tuesday, January 26 the movie shown will be Minions rated PG. If you DO NOT want your child to watch the movie, please contact your child’s teacher. Other arrangements will be made.
- The Kindergarten Open House is this Thursday, January 28 at 6:00 pm in the Fellowship Hall. Plan on attending if your family is interested in Kindergarten next year. Also please invite anyone else who may be interested in enrolling a Kindergarten child next year.
- Re-enrollment forms will be sent home Thursday, January 28. Re-enrollment begins on Monday, February 2. Please be sure to return the completed form to the school office with the appropriate re-enrollment deposit to ensure your child’s spot next school year.
- Friday, January 29 is an early release day. Classes will be dismissed at 2:00. This is due to the Zion Invitational Basketball tournament. Daycare is available for those children who are already registered.
- Class Group Pictures for grades K-8 will be taken next Tuesday, February 2. Order forms will be sent home this week. Individual pictures for 8th grade will also be taken.
Dear ZLS Families,
The next couple weeks are busy. Please make note of upcoming events and dates.
- Yearbook order forms are due this Friday, January 22. Order forms are available in the school office or you may place your orders online at: www.YBPaylifetouch.com using the Yearbook ID Code: 1102816.
- This Friday, January 22 – NJHS will be selling ice cream for .75 during lunch periods. Please be sure to send money with your child that day to help support this fundraiser.
- The Jump Rope for Heart Event is Wednesday, January 27. PTL is collecting donations of cheese sticks and oranges to provide our jumpers with snacks during the event. If you are able to make a snack donation, please deliver your contribution to the school office by Monday, January 25.
- Next week is National Lutheran’s Schools week. Be sure to read and download the schedule of events below. Please note on Tuesday, January 26 the movie shown will be Minions rated PG. If you DO NOT want your child to watch the movie, please contact your child’s teacher. Other arrangements will be made.
- The Kindergarten Open House is next Thursday, January 28 at 6:00 pm in the Fellowship Hall. Plan on attending if your family is interested in Kindergarten next year. Also please invite anyone else who may be interested in enrolling a Kindergarten child next year.
- Next Friday, January 29 is an early release day. Classes will be dismissed at 2:00. This is due to the Zion Invitational Basketball tournament. Daycare is available for those children who are already registered.
- Registration for the upcoming 2016-2017 is approaching. Re-enrollment forms will be sent out next week. Re-enrollment begins on Monday, February 2. Tuition rates for the 2016-2017 school year can be found below.
Lutheran Schools Week 2015-2016
School Tuition Rates 2016-2017